Sunday, September 5, 2010

A Little Bit of History


            In 1995 I moved to a little country village that was located 7 miles east of the nearest city. Although it only had one place of business, a gas station, diner, and small grocery all in one building, it did have one old historic building.  A beautiful old wooden church building that was built in 1867 situated in the middle of an old cemetery with headstones dated from 1865. One room, pitted old oak floors, 4 ceiling to mid waist glass windows on each side, solid wooden pews, and a small platform with a speaker's podium. You can still see the pitted bullet holes in the boards behind the platform where an actual shootout reportedly took place inside the church. After all this town was the birthplace of Clyde Barrow of the infamous Bonnie and Clyde team
            If this old church could only talk! It started out with a Presbyterian congregation, then became a Baptist church, then weathered a tornado in 1960 and was repaired. It wasn't until years later that the old steeple was discovered hidden in the attic and placed in its rightful position on the roof. The last recorded church service was held in 1961. It seemed a shame that such a beautiful and inspirational old church should stand silent and alone. The other part of the story is that my house was the second house of three situated on the gravel road that dead ended into the church/cemetery grounds. It was easily within walking distance from my house.
             My husband and I petitioned the cemetery committee to allow church services on Sunday mornings and with their permission we organized a revolving group of laymen from every denomination to alternately lead our little community in worship. Before long our little church was full to capacity again and the Christmas Candle lighting ceremony was standing room only. That was by the way, some of the best years of my life.
            The point of this little bit of history is to explain the blogs that I am going to publish. Back then each week I sent out a newsletter to the congregation, they seemed to enjoy these little bits of wit and wisdom and recently while cleaning, I ran across the Church Folder. After looking over them, I decided I wanted to share these messages with anyone interested.
·        A Little More Faith
·        Aspirations
·        Handling Opportunities
·        Remember the Important Things
·        It's Not What Happens to Us, But How We Respond
·        How Can I Help You?
·        The Plan
·        Don't Miss the Point
·        Stoic Faith
·        What Do I Do?
·        How Much Do I Trust Him?
·        What Do I Have to Do?
·        Gratitude
·        A Brighter Fresher Mind
·        Just Give Him the Letters


No comments:

Post a Comment